Couples counselling is an investment. You want to know you’ll receive effective, cost efficient therapy. Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy is the treatment model guiding therapy at Couples In Step.
- boasts a 75% success rate in clinical studies
- has been validated by over 25 years of empirical research
- research is ongoing
- has been used with various presenting problems
I’ve been certified by the International Center for Certification In EFT as a couple’s therapist and I continue to train extensively in EFT. There’s a personal element to my choosing EFT as well. You can read about that here.
What is EFT?
The video below profiles Dr. Sue Johnson (EFT’s principal researcher) talking about adult love relationships, what scientists are learning about adult love, and how EFT uses scientific findings to help couples heal their relationships. It’s a 15 minute video well worth the time.
If you’d prefer a shorter video go to my blog post, “Therapy That Changes the Brain” to hear the story of Jane and Carl and what an fMRI scan showed in Jane’s brain after EFT therapy.
What Problems Does EFT Help?
- Do you and your partner constantly argue?
- Are your arguments full of blame, accusation and attacks on each other?
- Do you frequently feel misunderstood?
- Does your partner withdraw, close up, sulk, or get defensive when you try to talk about important issues?
- Have you and your partner lost the ability to connect with each other?
- Have silence and sadness become a shared habit?
- Has your sex life been impacted by all the arguing and/or distance?
Until recently Dr. Johnson’s work was only available in professional journals. Hold Me Tight is for the general public. Dr. Johnson is a wonderful writer. Here’s an excerpt
Dr. John Gottman, perhaps North America’s best-known marriage counselor, with whom I have also trained, writes that, “EFT is a proven road map to the process of change in couple therapy.”
And the American Psychological Association notes that “EFT has achieved an astounding 75% success rate. Results are lasting!”
Dr. Johnson lives in Ottawa, Ontario. You can learn more about Dr. Johnson from the International Center for Excellence in Emotionally Focused Therapy (ICEEFT) website as well as Dr. Johnson’s website.
For more information or to schedule an appointment call Couples In Step at 416-459-0956, or email Couples In Step.