Video Counselling is Helpful for Many Couples
At Couples In Step we offer video counselling to accommodate couples whose schedules make it impossible to meet with one of our therapists in person. Our video sessions are conducted on a secure, encrypted platform to ensure your confidentiality.
Here is a sampling of situations where video counseling has been ideal for a couple:
- A couple who had to be apart for much of the time because of career demands met with our therapist weekly for video counselling after attending a 3-Day Intensive.
- A couple who attended a Hold Me Tight® Retreat lived far from an EFT therapist, and welcomed video counselling.
- A couple who lives outside the GTA area.
- When it’s difficult to get childcare
- The only available time was early morning, late evening/
Video counselling is not appropriate for discernment counselling
- You need an internet connection with fast bandwidth, including a good upload speed
- You need a laptop or computer with a webcam
- To use this medium you need to have tolerance for the occasional technological blip. While the technology is much more reliable than it was even a few short years ago, there is the occasional poor connection. Often hanging up and starting again makes for a better connection the second time.
Couples in Step uses the VSee platform for video counselling. We employ VSee because the bandwidth requirements are not as high as with other video counselling platforms, and because VSee is HIPPA and PHIPA compliant (HIPPA and PHIPA has to do with confidentiality).
There is no cost to you to use VSee. We will send you an invitation to join VSee just prior to the first session.
Please do what you can to minimize interruptions such as phone calls, kids playing in the same room, etc. Though, if you have children, they are likely to be curious, and it is perfectly fine with me if you have them meet me and just chat a bit. I’ve observed that giving children permission to see who you are talking to helps them interrupt you less.
If you wish to try meeting with me without getting a child care provider in to help, that is fine. After a session or 2, we’ll know better if a child care person is necessary for our sessions to be more productive.
Things You Should Know
I’ve learned the hard way that I need to ask for payment 24 hours ahead of the session. The best way to do this is for you to send me an e-transfer. I will not accept payment till the session is over, but I do need to have received a notice that an e-transfer has been made. If you’ve never made an e-transfer I’m happy to guide you. Just ask.
Nearly Every Couple Faces Challenges
Sometimes the difficulties can get so over whelming they can make both of you feel helpless. In our stress-filled, anxiety-driven lives it helps to talk with a professional about your relationship. Couples In Step offers a variety of services to help couples repair and revive their relationship: in-person counselling, on-line counselling, 3-day intensive couples counselling for couples in crisis, weekend couples retreats, discernment counselling for couples where one, or both of you, are uncertain about continuing the relationship.